• Advertisement

887 recall information

Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:16 am
Just saw this:

Remington Announces Voluntary Product Recall
Urges Model 887™ Owners to Take Immediate Action
Madison, N.C. - Remington Outdoor Company, Inc. (“Remington”) today announced a voluntary recall of
Model 887™ shotguns manufactured from December 1, 2013 to November 24, 2014.
Senior Remington engineers determined that some of those Model 887™ shotguns could, under certain
circumstances, unintentionally discharge.
IN THE INTEREST OF SAFETY, THESE PRODUCTS ARE BEING RECALLED
Remington has determined that some Remington Model 887™ shotguns manufactured between December 1,
2013 and November 24, 2014 may exhibit a defect causing the firing pin to bind in the forward position
within the bolt, which can result in an unintentional discharge when chambering a live round. Therefore,
Remington is recalling ALL potentially affected products to fully inspect and repair.
Remington has advised customers to immediately cease use of recalled shotguns and return them to
Remington free of charge. The shotguns will be inspected, repaired, tested, and returned as soon as possible.
Owners of the recalled shotguns should not attempt to diagnose or repair the shotguns themselves.
Remington has established a dedicated website and toll-free hotline to help consumers determine whether
their Model 887™ shotguns are subject to recall:
• Toll-Free Hotline: 1-800-243-9700 (Prompt #3 then Prompt #2) Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5
p.m. EDT.
The website and hotline provide instruction on how to return recalled shotguns free of charge for repair.
Remington is notifying consumers of this recall through a broad range of platforms including media
outreach, targeted advertising, and digital media promotion. Remington is also reminding all gun owners to
always follow the Ten Commandments of Firearms Safety:
The Ten Commandments of Firearms Safety
1. Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
2. Firearms should be unloaded when not actually in use.
3. Don't rely on your gun's safety.
4. Be sure of your target and what's beyond it.
5. Use proper ammunition. 6. If your gun fails to fire when the trigger is pulled, handle with care.
7. Always wear eye and ear protection when shooting.
8. Be sure the barrel is clear of obstructions before shooting.
9. Don't alter or modify your gun and have it serviced regularly.
10. Learn the mechanical and handling characteristics of the firearm you are using.
Media Contact:
Remington Outdoor Company
Jessica Kallam
336-548-8578
jessia.kallam@remington.com

Link: http://887recall.remington.com/pdfs/Press-Release.pdf

How to tell if you are affected:http://887recall.remington.com/
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.-Ronald Reagan
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:03 pm
Thanks for posting Mike...just seen this myself !!

================

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/11/30/st ... Newsletter

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:55 am
Thanks from me also for posting this , i checked my serial# on the website and it said my 887 was affected by the recall. I gave Remington a call but got a message that i will receive a 'call back' from them....(update-,i received the 'call back' as i was typing this-less than 10 mins after my initial call) i was told i will receive my shipping boxes in a few days with all the info i need and to contact UPS when i am ready for them to pick up the boxes. so far so good i guess :| . The only issue i have had with my 887 is the pump handle would sometimes stick in the 'locked forward' position and i would have to strike the fore end of it with the palm of my hand to get it to move backwards as i was pressing the release, but that seems to have gotten somewhat better with use and i found leaving the cap screw just a little looser helps also. i love the feel and looks of my 887,shoots great also. I have had a few Remington firearms through the years(some i have sold, some traded on, some i still have, a couple i wish i had kept!) always liked Remington and still do,seems like looking through this forum though people have many problems with their products now days and i think other recalls going on with some of their firearms. i also know other makers of firearms have problems and recalls going on also. With that said, now my last 2 bought 'new' firearms have been involved in recalls.... my XDS 45 was sent back to Springfield last year to repair a defect, now my 887 will be going back for repairs ;)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:34 pm
Welcome to the Remington Owners Forum ridgerunner !!

Seems like everything is being recalled after being rushed into service these days...Firearms, cars of all makes and models, exploding airbags ...and the list goes on !!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:16 pm
SHOOTER13 wrote:Welcome to the Remington Owners Forum ridgerunner !!

Seems like everything is being recalled after being rushed into service these days...Firearms, cars of all makes and models, exploding airbags ...and the list goes on !!

I think streamlining of everything in the design, fabrication and assembly process is opening the door to more issues. You cannot cut cost on every facet of the production of an item and have it turn out as well as one made with better R&D, materials, fabrication, and assembly.

Not to get sidetracked but we are really seeing the result of years or outsourcing, globalization and consolidation that companies have resorted to in order to maximize profit margins.
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.-Ronald Reagan

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:10 pm
Thank you for the welcome Shooter13! yep we are seeing more and more recalls with everything.... i was just reading about the airbag company refusing to expand the recall of their airbags. ...get it out the door and we will worry about it later....
MikeD i agree with what you are saying also, too many hands in too many parts of this earth on every aspect of things being built. i want to see more built in the USA,by folks in the USA, with materials from the USA(not just assembled in the USA) those days are long gone i am afraid. i love Your saying on the end of Your post........(We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.-Ronald Reagan) President Reagan was so right when he said this.... I MISS HIM. :(
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:40 pm
I miss Reagan too. This crap we have had to choose from lately, must be some kind of Communist plot. :lol:
USMC 83' - 87'
NRA Member
Indiana & Utah CCW

Are we there yet?
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:00 pm
Even if you don't think your 887 is part of the recall, go to the website and check anyways. They will then give a promo code for 20% off on their online store. At the time of this post they already have holiday discounts plus free shipping so you may find a good deal on something.
"...to disarm the people - that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -George Mason

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:15 pm
I am still waiting on my shipping boxes.... i called Remington again on the morning of Dec. 29th and was told they have ran out of materials to construct the shipping boxes....lol....still waiting as of today. The lady also told me i could use the box my shotgun came in if i wanted to,but i looked at it later and it seems kinda weak and soft so i will just wait on the UPS to bring the shipping boxes.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:29 pm
ridgerunner835 wrote:I am still waiting on my shipping boxes.... i called Remington again on the morning of Dec. 29th and was told they have ran out of materials to construct the shipping boxes....lol....still waiting as of today. The lady also told me i could use the box my shotgun came in if i wanted to,but i looked at it later and it seems kinda weak and soft so i will just wait on the UPS to bring the shipping boxes.

I really don't understand that. It's not like they didn't know how many of these guns were out there. At the minimum they know how many they have shipped out, even if they can't account for what was sold vs. sitting on shelves. Unless that's their cheesy way of controlling intake so they don't get too swamped.

Hopefully they will get it straightened out soon. I would be tempted to make my own box rather than wait.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:22 pm
Ok ,i have another update...my shipping boxes finally came and i packed my 887 well in the box , called remington back,they scheduled my pickup for wednesday of this week , the UPS driver came with the shipping label and took possesion of the box and UPS tracking says my shotgun was signed for at Ilion N.Y. this morning. So now we wait.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:51 pm
Thanks for the update. I'm curious myself as to what their turnaround time is.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:26 am
Will never buy a Remington product again. I live in Canada and purchased two of these shotguns last fall. Both are affected by the recall and a month after filling out the online forms I'm being told it will be 3 to 4 more months until my shotguns are picked up and fixed. Nice to see that american customers are at least receiving some service but being treated as second class because of my location is completely unacceptable. Never ever will I buy another Remington. Anyone looking for a couple of cheap paperweights? I have no faith in this company. Will be selling a brand new woodmaster 750 that I just purchased in the fall as well. Don't care to own any of their products. Remington USA informed me that american customers were made to wait 3 to 4 months as well which is impossible as the recall is only two months old. Don't appreciate being lied to either. Complete crap and BS from all I've talked to at remington. Of course I've been told I can buy the parts at 300+ if I wish to. What a croc.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:14 pm
abby308 wrote:Will never buy a Remington product again. I live in Canada and purchased two of these shotguns last fall. Both are affected by the recall and a month after filling out the online forms I'm being told it will be 3 to 4 more months until my shotguns are picked up and fixed. Nice to see that american customers are at least receiving some service but being treated as second class because of my location is completely unacceptable. Never ever will I buy another Remington. Anyone looking for a couple of cheap paperweights? I have no faith in this company. Will be selling a brand new woodmaster 750 that I just purchased in the fall as well. Don't care to own any of their products. Remington USA informed me that american customers were made to wait 3 to 4 months as well which is impossible as the recall is only two months old. Don't appreciate being lied to either. Complete crap and BS from all I've talked to at remington. Of course I've been told I can buy the parts at 300+ if I wish to. What a croc.
Wow, I'm sorry for your issues, I had a few months wait on my model 700 trigger fix. I know it is frustrating, but that 700 is a really accurate rifle, and well made. Personally, they probably didn't have to do anything to the trigger, still feels the same to me....very good. Again, sorry that you had all the issues.
USMC 83' - 87'
NRA Member
Indiana & Utah CCW

Are we there yet?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:32 am
OK,another update: i received a E Mail tuesday 2/10/15 that my MDL 887 had been repaired and had been picked up by UPS. According to UPS tracking, i should get it today,2/13/15 , so less that a month to get mine back from the recall as remington received it on Jan 16th...not too bad i guess. Springfield kept my XDS 45 for over 3 1/2 months before i got it back, but i am sure they had many many more firearms to repair,especially early in the recall. I can't wait to try my 887 out and get familiar with it again!!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:02 pm
Glad to hear...

Post a range report when you find the time...!!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:08 pm
Ok , will do that soon! My gun had a habit of binding sometimes when you went to pull the forearm back to either open it to load or to eject a spent shell and i did state this in a note i put in with the gun when i sent it in for the recall. So, when i read the repair document i saw that remington actually replaced the barrell because of poor fit to the reciever. the action is very much smoother now , even with the fore end cap screwed on tight. Before , i would tighten it then back it off about 1/4 turn or so, seem like it helped some with the binding forearm situation. Still going to have get out and shoot it some,but so far i am very satisfied with my gun after getting it back from Remington! Great job guys!!
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:42 pm
ridgerunner835 wrote:Ok , will do that soon! My gun had a habit of binding sometimes when you went to pull the forearm back to either open it to load or to eject a spent shell and i did state this in a note i put in with the gun when i sent it in for the recall. So, when i read the repair document i saw that remington actually replaced the barrell because of poor fit to the reciever. the action is very much smoother now , even with the fore end cap screwed on tight. Before , i would tighten it then back it off about 1/4 turn or so, seem like it helped some with the binding forearm situation. Still going to have get out and shoot it some,but so far i am very satisfied with my gun after getting it back from Remington! Great job guys!!

Well, a poor fit to the receiver would most certainly put things in a bind. Glad they got you squared away! ;)
USMC 83' - 87'
NRA Member
Indiana & Utah CCW

Are we there yet?

20g
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:25 pm
Caught the info on the recall in latest Guns and Ammo mag. Damn shame! Remington has always been my favorite and I own an 1100 shotgun and Model four and a Model 700. These were purchased many years back when recalls were slim to none. I totally agree with member Mike's above comments. Think I will be holding onto what I have. Trouble Free after years of great service.
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:39 am
Same here...never had a problem with my 700BDL and 7600...!!

20g
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:38 pm
SHOOTER13 wrote:Same here...never had a problem with my 700BDL and 7600...!!

Maybe I should have gotten the Model 6/7600. Good gun for Pa. as no autoloaders allowed for deer. Did get to use my auto at Tioga Boar Farm being a private hunting preserve.
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:27 am
I would use my AR15 if I went to a pig hunt...62 grain M855 would drop 'em all day !!

20g
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:35 pm
SHOOTER13 wrote:I would use my AR15 if I went to a pig hunt...62 grain M855 would drop 'em all day !!

Sounds good Shooter. You can go on their sight at Tioga Boar Farm.com for pics of successful hunts as well as prices if it is not too far a haul for you. Got other game too. Ain't that cheap but you will bag one of your choice. Black Russian or European. Hey we only go around once!!! Take care for now

Return to Remington Model 887