• Advertisement

deer slugs in versa max

Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:37 pm
Has anyone shot deer slugs in their Versa Max? I did and the results were terrible. Three different kinds of slugs all with the same results at 50 yds. 12 inches left.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:55 pm
Welcome to the Remington Owners Forum ckreitz_8 !!

Can't say as I don't own a Versa Max...
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:53 am
ckreitz_8 wrote:Has anyone shot deer slugs in their Versa Max? I did and the results were terrible. Three different kinds of slugs all with the same results at 50 yds. 12 inches left.

Which barrel do you have and what choke if any are you using?

If you are attempting to shoot sabot type slugs in a smooth barrel then your results will be horrible.
The first thing we need to do is a "Point of Impact" test with shot shells.
Based on this test we will need to adjust your cast and drop using the plates provided.
When that is done, go purchase some "Foster" type slugs that have the lands and grooves built into the slug and try again.
Your results should be much better.
We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:03 pm
TuJays wrote:
ckreitz_8 wrote:Has anyone shot deer slugs in their Versa Max? I did and the results were terrible. Three different kinds of slugs all with the same results at 50 yds. 12 inches left.

Which barrel do you have and what choke if any are you using?

If you are attempting to shoot sabot type slugs in a smooth barrel then your results will be horrible.
The first thing we need to do is a "Point of Impact" test with shot shells.
Based on this test we will need to adjust your cast and drop using the plates provided.
When that is done, go purchase some "Foster" type slugs that have the lands and grooves built into the slug and try again.
Your results should be much better.

I'm having the same problem. I'm shooting slugs for the 1st time & had terrible results. I'm shooting smooth bore, Winchester 2 3/4, 1 oz, 1600 fps rifled slugs. Two shots from 50 yds, 1st was 6" low & 3" left, 2nd was 6" low & 3" right. From 100 yds only one shot, 18" low & 10" right. All shots were with the .004 choke tube. What's this cast & drop adjustment you speak about? How do I do it? I've been thinking about a Truglo Proseries Magnum Gobble Dot sight. Any thoughts on it?
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:03 am
The VM's shotgun fitted with a over-bored barrel was never intended to shoot slugs out of. It was designed for heavy doses of steel shot for waterfowl hunters.
Using two beads on a shotgun as sights to place slugs in a bulls-eye is useless as well.
You will definitely get better results with a scope or red dot aiming device on the original barrel, but in my opinion the best option is to purchase a rifled barrel and add a receiver mounted scope, especially if you live in a area that forces you to have to use a shotgun instead of a centerfire rifle to deer hunt with.

Here is what i am talking about....

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/7-R80620

as far as "point of aim" verses "point of impact" and adjusting a shotgun to fit you so that it hits where you are looking...........on a shotgun your eye is the rear "sight"!!! Always move the rear sight (your eye) in the direction you want the impact to go. Same for adjustable rifle sights...right!!!! OK:)
Example:
If you are shooting low then you will want to move your eye up or higher by decreasing the drop and or raising the comb.
If you are shooting high then you will want to move your eye down or lower by increasing the drop and or lowering the comb.
If you are shooting left then move your eye to the right with more cast off adjustment, and
If you are shooting right then move you eye to the left with more cast on adjustment.
If you have a original VM and not the sportsman get your manual out and turn to page 15 and start reading "The Stock Adjustments:" If you have the sportsmen than it does not apply.
None of this is a replacement for a good set of rifle sights or a scope when shooting single projectiles out of a smooth over bored shotgun barrel at long ranges of 50 plus yards and it was never intended to be. Get the rifled barrel I mentioned above.

For shooting shot-shells at flying targets, i will need you to promise me that you will never look at either of the beads on your barrel while shooting your shotgun again and it would be best if you took the mid-bead off, then we can start fit and adjustment process.

Best of luck and safe and happy shooting
We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing!

Return to Remington VERSA MAX