• Advertisement

Best Ammo for Remington 1911 R1

Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A., jstanfield103

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:00 pm
On the forum I joined a discussion where I stated that I have purchased a 1911 R1 about four months ago.
Since I was having problems with FTFs. They sent me new magazines but continued to fail to feed. I sent it back to Remington.

As a note, the gun FTF with every brand of ammo I shot. There was one ammo, however, that performed flawlessly: Remington 45 ACP L45AP4.

My question is: Is it normal for a gun to shoot well with just one specific type of ammunition. I suppose I could just buy the Remington 45 ACP, but to me it doesn't sit well that a gun is limited to one type of ammunition. Any thoughts out there, please?

Nonetheless, I now have the gun in my possession again and will test it tomorrow, Oct 5, with Remington as well as other brands.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:45 pm
Welcome to the Remington Owners Forum !!

Yes...most firearms will like one load or another...that is usually the case.

Please keep us in the loop on how it goes...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:35 pm
Hmm... I just took my r1 carry commander to the range for the first time yesterday. Performed flawlessly with Fiocchi and Herter (!) FMJ. Choked once on Blazer aluminum cased, but so did my sig sauer pistol. I have no quality complaints so far, sorry to hear that some do. Will try JHP rounds after a suitable break in period. This is my first 1911.
.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:20 pm
OldCuss wrote:I too have a recently purchased R-1 Enhanced Jam-O-Matic.the R-1
looks like it have been finished with a floor sander. It's pretty doubtful this pistol will become a long term resident of my safe, like some of the Remington rifles and Shotguns that have been honored residents for over 40 years.

I polish the "feed ramp" on every handgun I own. My M&P 40 had a rough feed ramp and badly made ejector.
I had FTFs all the time with it. I polished the ramp and took the burr and sharp spot off the ejector and now, hundreds of rounds later, it's a great shooting gun. No problems at all.

With gun manufacturers running at full capacity and desperately trying to keep costs down, some sloppy finishing is making it's way out the door. If you can fix it up yourself you'll end up with a good gun.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:03 pm
What kind of FTF is happening?
An ATI stock set on a 1955 16-ga Wingmaster would make Baby Jesus cry...........

Cop
Reloader and Bullet Caster
US Army Veteran

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:38 am
OK, ran 200 rounds of GI Ball ammunition through my R1. The R1 performed flawlessly. Now I am looking for inexpensive and reliable (I realize they don't always go together) ammunition that I can use at the range. I appreciate whatever recommendations and experiences you can provide. Thanks in advance.
I don't always salute Obama, but when I do it's with one finger.
.22LR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:24 pm
"Inexpensive ammo"? I'm sorry, I don't know what that is... :)
I've been using Ferrochi, Herters, Remington and they all work well in my R1. All ball ammo. (except Winchester FMJ gave me 2 failure to feeds, out of 50, a couple weeks ago)
I run Remington Golden Saber JHP too and have had no problems.

.22LR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:34 pm
I guess I should have said 'relatively' inexpensive. It's all relative, isn't it?
I don't always salute Obama, but when I do it's with one finger.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:13 am
tnlaker wrote:Hmm... I just took my r1 carry commander to the range for the first time yesterday. Performed flawlessly with Fiocchi and Herter (!) FMJ. Choked once on Blazer aluminum cased, but so did my sig sauer pistol. I have no quality complaints so far, sorry to hear that some do. Will try JHP rounds after a suitable break in period. This is my first 1911.

I took my R1S to the range yesterday and shot 250 rounds of 230 grain ball ammo, some S&B, some Perfecta which is a brand I've not seen before, but Walmart had it on hand, and some Federal Aluminum case that I had not seen before either but again, Walmart had a fair supply on hand, ($14.88 per box). All ammo shot flawlessly from the pistol using the factory supplied magazines. the Perfecta ammo is Italian manufacture, a bit more smoke generated with it than the other ammo, but quite accurate. The R1S has become my favorite .45, I like it better than my Kimber.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:29 pm
I hope I don't experience these sorts of problems with my new R1 Commander. I just bought it a few days ago and will very soon take it to the range for its "baptism under fire". That said, I will start off with a box of Remington 230 gr FMJ. I have numerous brands of ammo and will try some of each just to see what she "likes to eat" best. I'll let you all know.
-Ed-

"If you take out the killings, Washington actually has a very, very low crime rate." -- Marion Barry, Former Mayor of Washington, DC
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:23 pm
Well, Gang, I'm back. Yesterday I finally got to the range now that the hectic holiday season is behind us. I must tell you that I am most pleased with the new R1 Commander. First, I fired 50 rounds of Remington UMC 230 grain FMJ without a single hiccup. Next came 50 rounds of Blazer aluminum, same weight, also without a hiccup. Then I fired 50 rounds of Mag Tech, same weight, with one FTFeed. I unloaded it, checked the round all over, then re-loaded it in the same magazine and fired the rest of the box without incident. Lastly, I fired 20 rounds of Remington Ultimate Defense 230 grain BJHP. These, too, fired perfectly.

I shot first from 7 yards, then from 15 yards. The shots grouped nicely and made me look better than I really am. And I really like the large 3-dot sight system. Very easy on my old eyes. There were no mechanical difficulties whatsoever. The stocks remained tightly screwed down, the sights are completely secure and I do believe the single FTFeed was an ammo problem and not the magazine. I've experienced the same thing with Mag Tech .45 ACP ammo in my well-broken-in Colt 1911s. Next trip I'll shoot Federal, WWB, PMC and Herter's 230 grain FMJ. A very pleasant experience over all. The R1 has my highest recommendation!
-Ed-

"If you take out the killings, Washington actually has a very, very low crime rate." -- Marion Barry, Former Mayor of Washington, DC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:54 am
Great to hear that Major Dad !!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:54 am
I just ran about 100 rounds thru my R1, half was Remington UMC 45 ACP Auto Ammo 185 Grain Full Metal Jacket and the other half was RWS/Geco 230 grain hard ball. Targets Sports has the latter for $350/500 delivered. Both shot flawlessly.
http://www.targetsportsusa.com/rws-geco ... -3246.aspx

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:53 am
The Perfecta brand from WalMart is actually made by Fiocchi. I bought 100 rounds of it but have not tried it yet in my R1 or the Colt. Appearance looks superb. I buy the Remington UMC 230 grain FMJ from Academy and Gander Mountain. Gander matches Academy's $209.99 price for the bulk case of 500 rounds. The UMC is the primary diet for my 1911s, although I've shot several hundred rounds of Blazer Brass 230 gr FMJ and have had not a single malfunction in either one. It is true however, that some firearms will prefer a few specific brands of ammo over other brands, actually totally rejecting some brands. Then somebody always has the gun that will run on anything you feed it. I have a couple of finicky firearms and on one, I have to measure the rim diameter on each batch (lot number) at the store before I purchase from that lot.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:36 pm
Hi, gang. Well, I'm back from the range again after another ammo experiment with my R1 Commander. Today I fired all 230 grain FMJ. 50 rounds each of Herter's, PMC, Federal and 100 rounds of WWB, in that order. With Herter's I had two incidents of the slide not going completely into battery. A sharp tap on the rear fixed that. The PMC and Federal rounds fired flawlessly. When it came to the WWB I had several FTFeeds. These required removing the magazine and clearing the hung round. In each case I reloaded the round into the same magazine and continued to fire without incident.

I have three Remington magazines and this happened with all three. The weapon was clean prior to firing today and I lubed the barrel bushing and slide well before stepping up to the firing line. I was wondering about the Remington mags, but I'm not sure they were the problem, given that the Fed and PMC rounds fired without a hiccup. Perhaps the weapon was getting dirty by the time I got to the WWB. Next time I believe I'll start with the WWB and see how that works.

Otherwise, everything was rock solid today, and lots of fun, too. No loose grip screws. Front & rear sights are still firmly in place. I still feel my Commander is in the "breaking in" phase and will take a few hundred more rounds to smooth things out. Overall I'm very pleased with this pistol. No complaints and I still recommend the R1 very highly.
-Ed-

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:02 pm
I'm almost ashamed to be the bearer of more great news, but I can't resist. Yesterday I took the R1 Commander to the range again and squeezed off 300 more rounds, all 230 gr FMJ. First, I fired off 100 rounds of WWB and I had no hiccups, unlike the few minor ones the previous trip. Next was 200 more MagTech, also with no hiccups. So far I've fired 720 rounds of FMJ in three trips to the range, using seven different brands plus 20 rounds of Remington HP. I'm getting very comfortable with the R1, and I think I'll be comfortable with all the brands I've tried so far. Everything is still nice and tight; no loose screws or sights. It was a really great day!
-Ed-

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:05 am
And I'll add just one more post here. Yesterday I fired 250 rounds of Federal 230 grain FMJ through my R1 Commander, with nary a hiccup. No FTFeed, no FTFire, no FTE. All three Remington magazines performed wonderfully. All parts are still tight and moving smoothly. I did notice, however, that the left grip screws loosened up about a half turn just before I finished up. No problems otherwise. She's sent 970 rounds downrange now and I'm thinking she's pretty well broken in. Federal is some great stuff!
-Ed-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:09 pm
I also keep a small notebook with the date/time...weather stats if outside...and round count of each range session for every firearm I own...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:22 pm
I picked up my Carry Commander a few weeks ago, but finally had the opportunity to get to the range this morning. I went with a friend, who is essentially a beginner, and spent quite a bit of time with her and her new (purchased last year and fired for the first time today) Ruger .380. We used Zombie targets (man, they're fun!) and while she was making holes in hers at 10', I was shooting at 7 yards. I started with 50 rounds of Winchester 230 gr FMJ target ammo, moved on to Federal Premium 230 gr JHP, and then 50 rounds of Remington 230 gr UMC. No problems with any of the ammo. Have to say, tho, I really like the Remington UMC. I don't normally use sights when shooting, but thought I would start out with them. I found myself hitting about 1" low and 2" to the left. A very good grouping, but not where I wanted to be hitting the target. Once I gave up on the sights I started placing my shots in or immediately around the Zombie's eyes - which is where I wanted them. I've always believed in shooting the same ammo I carry, so I will be sticking with the Remington UMC. It was only $20 and change at Wally-World for a box of 50. I've been a serious fan of the S&W 39-2 for nearly 40 years. It's always been the handgun of choice for me, but this Carry Commander is my new go-to gun. Not because it's new. It's because it's just too sweet to leave home.
.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:27 pm
Last week I ran some 200Grain JHP and 200Grain lead cast through the R1.
No problems with either.

RC

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:29 am
Well guys, I finally made it to the range with the Perfecta brand .45 ACP 230 gr FMJ from WalMart. I was told it is made by Fiocchi. I took 200 rounds of it and 200 rounds of the Remington UMC 230 gr FMJ and punched a couple of holes in the paper. At 7-1/2 yds, they both shot groups between quarter and half-dollar size. I shot all 400 rounds through my Remington 1911 R1. I'm quite pleased with both the R1 and the Perfecta brand ammunition. And... not a single misfeed, misfire or failure to eject. Magazines used were factory 7-rd R1 & Colt, and 2 aftermarket mags; Wilson Combat 47-D 8-rd and cheap Promag 10-rd. Needless to say, every time I walk into a Wal-Mart store, I'll buy whatever quantity they have on hand.

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:59 am
I honestly have yet to find any type/brand of ammo my R1 Commander doesn't eat up and shoot incredibly. Its favorite is win white box and its almost as accurate with Fed Aluminum.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:03 am
I think 1911s in general are built to specs that make them more tolerant to various ammunition brands than most of the other pistols built. I would guess that most firearms have a certain level of "finicky" whereas they will refuse to function with a number of brands. It is nice to have guns that will digest and run anything you feed them.

0119, do you find that the Winchester White Box ammo is quite dirty compared to most other top-end ammunition? I tried some White Box in 9mm and man, it was some filthy stuff all over the gun, the bench, and my hands. I even had gray/black speckles on my face. I went back to Remington UMC and things got clean again. The Winchester seemed to be smokier than the rest and the residue seemed more oily.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:16 pm
I agree, Rick. The WWB is a bit messier than the UMC in my R1 Commander, too. Both function flawlessly for me, tho. But I'm a price guy, and the best price for American made ammo gets the nod from me. Besides, a good scrubbing after each range day is always in order. And 0119, I like the Fed ammo in brass. I also have some Fed alum to try shortly. I fully expect it to perform like the Fed brass. JM2CW.
-Ed-

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:39 am
Well, it's been another relaxing day at the range. I normally don't go on weekend days, but I wanted to take my friend's daughter out to shoot her new Remington 1911R1S Government Std. She just turned 21 and has the "1911 Fever" since I took her out to shoot my 1911s before she purchased one. 2 hours range time and 800 rounds later, shooting Remington UMC 230 gr only, there was not a single hiccup. She can sure heat up a 1911 and still keep a pretty remarkable grouping. Bottom line... "A nice day at the range." And... She loves her R1S!!! Now she wants to buy a Kimber Ultra Carry II after she gets her Concealed Handgun License next month.

Guess I better order another 1000 rounds. Wal-Mart has the 250 packs for $95.00 each.
Next

Return to Remington 1911 R1