• Advertisement

Remington Rimfire coming back?

Anything and everything related to ammunition can be posted here.

Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A., nitesite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:56 am
Now that the rimfire shortages seem to be over, I notice a good supply of Remington rimfire again on the shelves....but a LOT less variety. I see Thunderbolt and Golden Bullet, and that's about it. Anyone know if we're going to see, or if you see in your area, the old line-ups: Game Loads, Yellow Jacket, Viper, Cyclone, etc? Remington lists them on the website, but I never see them in my area since before the Dark Days. Anybody seeing the other products in your area?
NRA Life, NAHC Life, Retired USN
Pain heals, chicks dig scars .... glory, lasts forever!
Administrator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:43 pm
I've seen some Rem rimfires online for pre-panic prices lately.

But not locally.

About the only thing I've seen locally is CCI's.

I still have some Remington Subs that I love shooting through my bolt guns with cans.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.
-Me

Now I know they're not so ignorant and it's ATRRITION
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:04 pm
Rimfire ammo is the ultimate Ford-vs-Chevy argument. There are folks who get Tourettes talking about Thunderbolt or Golden Bullet, but they work great in all my rimfires. In fact the worst I've seen is Winchester white-box, which seemed to be oversized and some rounds have trouble feeding into a chamber and then a real hard time extracting, even with a SAA push-type extractor. I tell everyone who have Remington fodder to send it to me, but sadly no one ever does.

Locally our shelves are full of choices now, but only those two Remingtons (besides Eley target ammo). I can get MiniMags aplenty, Federal of 3-4 varieties, heck I can even get Remington Golden Bullet 22 Shorts!!! And lots of CCI Long, so I have stocked up on variety. But I wish Big Green would make a run of Cyclone, Viper and Yellow Jacket again.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:07 pm
My local WM has Remington Golden Bullet all the time in 100-ct plastic boxes. And there is plenty of CCI long rifle.

I too would love to come across some Viper or Yellow jacket again.

There is a gun/pawn shop I drive by that has .22LR AMMO on their outdoor LED sign for $1.99... I really ought to investigate.
An ATI stock set on a 1955 16-ga Wingmaster would make Baby Jesus cry...........

Cop
Reloader and Bullet Caster
US Army Veteran
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:31 pm
nitesite wrote:... I really ought to investigate.

Well, heck YEA!!!!

20g
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:41 pm
I never hesitate to grab Remington 22 magnum ammo from BassPro when I get the chance. Groups closest with the CCI 40 grain H.P. stuff. 1910 F.P.S. too. Never had an issue with any Remington ammo 22 L.R. or magnum. Pray the company makes it out of this mess.
Administrator
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:44 pm
Yeah, I agree.

I would miss their ammo a lot more than I would miss their guns.
-Me

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:59 pm
John A. wrote:I would miss their ammo a lot more than I would miss their guns.

The trouble is they are making less and less guns anymore. No more rimfire bolt actions (except the 504, I think) when they used to make 3 versions of the 58x-series, only 1 plastic 22-semi-auto, the 552/572 might even be new-old-stock. But they also quit making Marlin 39A once they took over. It's a death spiral.
Administrator
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:23 pm
Yeah, and that's very unfortunate.

They've all but shut down HR/NEF already.

I think the only thing they're doing with them is importing stuff from China with their name on the side.
-Me

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:10 pm
...and even when they tried that ^ from Zastava, they bungled it off. Zastava has been making quality firearms for a long, long time but the 798 and Model 5 were never marketed properly.
Administrator
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:39 pm
My NPAP is one of the "prettiest" AK's that I have. Certainly prettier than my Rommy.

While I don't have any hands on with the 798 and model 5, if their quality was as nice, I have no doubt they would have made really nice shooters.
-Me

20g
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:29 pm
Sure is a heartbreaker to read of these troubles when I look at the Remingtons I bought back starting in 1980. My 1100, 700, and model Four have been flawless and the cost for each was between $300-400 for some real quality. No experience with the latest stuff but glad I held onto my old standbys. Now to find a used 870 Wingmaster in 20. Often the price for the older stuff is reasonable and I think it should go for more with walnut and high polish bluing!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:38 pm
My Model 5 is a nice piece of kit. It's not hard to make an accurate 22 rimfire, with a heavy enough barrel. But the overall quality is very good, altho' it suffers from the same Remington laminated stock of the era.
.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:21 am
I've noticed that Thunderbolts are my highest producer of misfires. CCI Blaser all the way!
Director, Engineering
DangerCo, LLC
http://www.dangerco.us
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:17 pm
engineerpower wrote:I've noticed that Thunderbolts are my highest producer of misfires.

I may have fewer misfires with Thunderbolt because of my collection of bolt-rifles, which tend to shoot everything all-the-time. But Winchester 333 white box?!? Egads, no!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:15 pm
Several years ago Remington re-engineered the nozzles that injected priming compound into the rims of their rimfire ammo and it's resulted in far more reliable ignition every since. I'm very willing to buy Golden Bullet and Thunderbolts today than I would have been about 8-10 years ago.
An ATI stock set on a 1955 16-ga Wingmaster would make Baby Jesus cry...........

Cop
Reloader and Bullet Caster
US Army Veteran
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:22 pm
Funny, every time I run into someone who absolutely hates and disparages the Remmie stuff, I tell them to send it to me. I never get any. Go figure....
Administrator
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:33 pm
I've had the worst performance from Winchester by far.

You can tell just by the sound of them they are not loaded consistently at all.
-Me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:32 pm
My main issue with Winchester rimfire is it seems they ran production way past the sizing dies end-of-life. I've had so many Winnie 22LRs go tightly, or not at all into my collection of rimfire SAA's pistols. And I have quite a few, so it's not affecting just-one-gun. Those that go in tight often will not eject with the pushrod. Some go in easy and then will not eject, or eject tightly. A few are dimensionally too long. SO the white-box Winchester is what I give friends who need a box.... and I ask that they replace it with Golden Bullet or Thunderbolt.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:46 am
One the last places that stocked .22 rimfire was the OTZ Alaska Commercial Company, it was the Obama era, rimfire shortage was blamed on the Chinese Olimpics sponging up copper and brass.
All I know was they wanted almost $6 for a box of Remington Thunder-Duds, same for the green/yellah boxes.
The store'd stock about 8 boxes, Id buy a box possibly 2 and go shooting.
Id get at minimum 4 duds per box, sometimes as many as 9 duds in a $6 box of 50 cartridges.
Was the dud a product of shoddy Remington workmanship?
Or more likely the rough handling of that ammunition between the A.C. Anchorage distribution center and the air carriers and all the handlers on the way to the outer parts of Alaska.

Then in the Depths of Barrys second term, the .22 rimfire supply of crappy dud riddled cartridges dried up and blew away like a political promise.
The last cartridges Id seen as a single box of 100ct winchester .22 short standard velocity target ammo marked on the high end of $14.

The OTZ Alaska Commercial has totally dropped stocking cartridges for any firearm.
Only two sources locally.
The ACE hardware store and a smaller grocery store over by the post office.

I can usually get CCI Blazers.

Return to Ammunition