• Advertisement

Mounting Scope Bases

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:56 pm
For those of you thinking of adding a scope to a firearm that wasn't made for one and don't want to change the original configuration of a classic, I highly recommend Loctite Black Max 380. I recently restored a 1952 vintage Model 512 that wasn't grooved as some later model ones were.
I got in a hurry and mispositioned the base on the first attempt. I am here to tell you that that stuff has an unbelievable hold. It took a heat gun on the highest setting to get it to give up and even then required some force to do it. Just make sure you scuff the bottom of the mount...not the receiver and heat the surface before install. And obviously, try to get it in the correct position the first time. :oops:
".... If there's something wrong, those who have the ability to take action have the responsibility to take action."
Administrator
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:03 am
I've never heard of that. I assume it's like JB weld ????
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.
-Me

Now I know they're not so ignorant and it's ATRRITION
Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:54 pm
Well, sort of. Where JB Weld is a two- part application, 380 is in a tube much like super-glue...only more $$$$. Because it is toughened with elastomers, it provides greater resistance to impact, vibration and increased shear strength. I didn't want to drill and tap or cut the receiver if I could avoid it.
I had it out to the range the other day and it shot 50 cent sized groups at 25 yds. I'm not sure what kind of groups I would get at 50+ yds with these old eyes....even with a 6x scope. Once I teach my grandson a few things, we'll see what it can do in front of a pair of young eyes.
".... If there's something wrong, those who have the ability to take action have the responsibility to take action."
Administrator
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:12 pm
Glad it's working well for you guys. Hopefully it'll hold up well.

Yeah, my eyes aren't what they used to be either.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.
-Me

Now I know they're not so ignorant and it's ATRRITION

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting