• Advertisement

Safety Concern

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:44 am
I have a 7mm Rem Mag Sendero that was made in 1994. I bought it last year from a widow of our hunting club member. I have shot about 50 rounds through the rifle without any issues. Today, when I flipped the safety off, the rifle fired. I open the bolt, extracted the brass and when I closed the bolt back to the down position, the rifle dry fired again. I checked the trigger pull with a trigger scale and it's set at 2 lbs. The previous owner may have messed with it or it may have come from the factory that light. Should I take this to a gunsmith and have him try and adjust the trigger or just install an aftermarket trigger? If aftermarket is the way to got, what brand/model or part number trigger should I buy? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:01 pm
You have just happened upon the entire Remington 700 trigger recall lawsuit. The easy solution is a Timney after-market trigger. Or contact Remington for a shipping slip and send it back under the recall for a new trigger.
NRA Life, NAHC Life, Retired USN
Pain heals, chicks dig scars .... glory, lasts forever!

20g
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:59 pm
Yeah what a pain in the butt to have to go through!! My 700 was made in 84 and I have never had an issue but is probably on the list if they are all affected with that "Walker Trigger" A Timney might be an alternative rather than going through the B.S. if one doesn't mind the cost. Have heard good reports on them.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:42 pm
I contemplated sending back my three Model 7's, but did not because none of seem afflicted. I did change out the trigger on my 700 to a Timney rather than send it back. Expensive, yea, but quick and easy.

20g
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:26 pm
I agree Scorpion. Hate to go through the expense when gun is functioning properly for all these years. The wood and bluing is top notch and hate to get it back with scratches and am sure it would take a while.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:50 pm
Yup. Not only that, but they want you to remove any scope for shipping, so that would need to be sighted back in again also (cost: 2 boxes of shells + time and effort). I can see if there was a safety concern with mine, but they were all newer Model 7s with the upgraded trigger since Remington was already taking steps to correct the situation before the lawsuit played out.

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting