• Advertisement

1100 for Trap - Shell Ejector Rubber Band?

Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A., MikeD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:34 pm
I just picked up a minty used 1100, and thought i might set it up as a backup gun for my normal trap O/U. I gave it a try today when no one was around, and hit 8 of the first 10 birds. So that'll work. But retrieving the spent hulls was "Issue #1". I've heard some folks use a rubber band over the ejection port to keep ejected shells from annoying the shooter next in line. Great, easy fix but .. anyone got pictures of that set-up?

Also, how does that work on doubles? The first bird spent hull can't block the 2nd bird's shell, so what's the fix here?
NRA Life, NAHC Life, Retired USN
Pain heals, chicks dig scars .... glory, lasts forever!
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:13 am
For singles a rubber band around the receiver partially covering the ejection port works fine. Start with it about midway and adjust as needed.
For doubles, you will have to buy or make something. They used to make it but haven't seen one in years. Many 1100 Trap guns came with a knockdown pin. I made and installed several. That will drop shells at your feet. It was installed in the top of the ejection port in the barrel extension. You will need to look at one to see the location. I used solid #12 copper wire and bend to suit. If it "wears" out you can't buy wire in 1/2" lengths so you should be able to make plenty. Remington used steel spring wire silver soldered in place. I used Superglue. Good luck.
What could have happened... did.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:41 pm
Thanks. My "conceptual issue" is a rubber band halfway down the ejection port will get snagged by the bolt handle as it cycles during ejection, no? I did find some Carlson's Shell Catcher's on eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/333953319626?s ... 1438.l2649) and a buddy who knows how they work. But again, no solution for doubles.
NRA Life, NAHC Life, Retired USN
Pain heals, chicks dig scars .... glory, lasts forever!
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:11 pm
The bolt handle will contact the rubber band but it can still stop the shell. You position the band behind the handle, and then stretch it to in front.
What could have happened... did.

Return to Remington Model 1100