• Advertisement

1187 UK Slug Gun

Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A., MikeD, DHonovich

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:45 pm
Here in the UK we are not permitted either rifled barrels or rifled extended chokes for our shotguns. However, there is a growing sport of various slug matches with distances out to 200 metres (218.5 yards)
These are shot in various classes, Classic, single shot Multi barrel, over/under or side by side, Manual, pumps, levers and bolt action and Auto, tube or box fed. These are all shot with smoothbores, various sight configurations and are timed with turning targets, speed loading while targets are edged. It is related to IPSC shooting but allows all types of shotgun to be used in a target match (and its great FUN!) Obviously, timings in the different classes will reflect the type of shotgun, but its all demanding and competitive.
I bought a super cheap (£16 or $20) (broken) 1187 at auction, repaired it and am in the process of modifying it for the auto class. I used the Monte Carlo stock from my earlier competition gun (it was replaced with a choate pistol type) and am looking now for a synthetic forend to complete the project. I again made my speed load plate from sprung steel so as not to introduce any extra mass to the action (when its super light there is no additional kinetic energy created which I have found causes chatter and flutter in the crucial cycling stages. I fitted a rail to the receiver and a 4- 20 scope (probably a bit over the top!) The sharp eyed out there will note the breecher choke, it is the only cylinder bore choke that I have!The gun runs fine ( on bird and buckshot) and I have some range time booked for zeroing shortly.
1187 slug.jpg
1187 slug.jpg (103.93 KiB) Viewed 465 times

Return to Remington Model 11-87