• Advertisement

Remington 597 Autoloader Reviews...

Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A.

Administrator
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:26 pm
Administrator
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:26 pm

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:32 pm
Just wanted to say I just got a 597 two months ago and right out of the box, dead on. I got it to replace a Marlin model 98 that was giving to me years ago from my Father, great gun just did not cycle right, so I shopped around for a new one. Well lets just say I almost got a 10/22, I think that would have been a bad move. I had some low end rounds left over so I was chomping at the bit to go out and shoot. First mag no probs but every mag after that I had to rack it every second or third round. Went home cleaned it for the first time, well I was shocked how easy it was to strip, to me thats a big part of the gun, no one wants to spend alot of time cleaning there firearm. So I went and got some better ammo, and besides the fact that I was not used to how much oil to put in the new gun, I had a few problems but with re oiling the gun it worked flawless. I have shot over a 1000 rounds in this gun and would tell anyone to buy it, well one week after my buddy shot mine he went and got one. Great Great rifle!!
Administrator
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:43 pm
Thanks for posting up your thoughts on your Remington 597 Autoloader.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:25 pm
Just purchased My 597 on Friday, shot it on Sunday. Only problem was an ammo issue using cheap bulk ammo. Got great groups out of the box. Just bought a scope for it will try in the next couple of weeks. Has been better then two of my friends Ruger 10/22 and the best part my wife liked it so much she wants one of her own.
Administrator
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:55 pm
Thanks for posting, i'm glad that it out performed the 10/22. Let use know how it goes once you get range time with the scope on it.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:45 am
I recently purchased my first gun ever... it was the Remington 597. This is a good quality firearm. Being a brand new shooter (First gun i have ever fired) it is an easy to learn gun. I purchased some Winchester .22LR ammo and some Remington .22LR gold ammo. In this rifle I had ZERO issues with the Remington ammo, and about every-other shot with the Winchester would not cycle. After my first bout of shooting with this rifle, I found a few videos on the internet on how to do a full "takedown". I was amazed at how simple the takedown was for someone who had NEVER handled a firearm previously.
I never got to go shooting with my dad as a kid, and I don't want my boys to be the same. I had my 8 and 11 year olds shooting this gun in just a few minutes. In my opinion this is a superb rifle to learn to shoot with. It has nearly no recoil, and is very quiet to shoot.

I have to give Remington a 5 out of 5 for this rifle quality, simplicity and ease of use.
Remington 597 Auto Loader
Winchester Model-68
Rossi .22/410 Matched Set

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:47 pm
Took my 597 out with scope on it. The scope is a Tasco 4X32mm that I picked up for $20 at a local gun store along with the 30 round mag from remington.

First with the mag. Would put 27 or 28 rounds into the mag (Habit from problems with 30 round AR mags) and had no feeding or jam issues. Went through 500 rounds using both the 30 round and 10 round.

Once I got the scope zeroed at 25 yards, I was able to get 1inch groups with just kneeling on a bench taking my time with each shot. With rapid fire was getting 3inch groups sitting and 4-5inch standing. Moved out to 50 yards and the groups opend up to 2inch kneeling slow shooting and 5inch rapid kneeing. I will do some long distance shooting next time I can go to my normal shooting area, so I can go up to 300 yards.

So needless to say extremely happy with mags, scope, and mostly the 597. Just ordered Archangel stock and will have it on thursday and will post pics as soon as it is setup, since we need more pics on this site.
Administrator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:33 pm
Thanks for the update and its great to hear your Remington Model 597 autoloader performed flawlessly. Sounds like you have a .22lr tack driver on your hands! I look forward to seeing pictures of your new setup.
Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:32 am
It is widely recognized that the 597 out of the box will out shoot most 10/22's. You have to spend quite a few bucks on a 10/22 to get it to be as accurate as a base 597.

I used to be firmly in the Ruger camp for modern semi auto's. I have always collected and loved the older Remington's but had fell victim to the negatives I had heard about the 522 and then the 597. All of that changed last year when I took a leap and ordered a new 597 AAC-SD with the intentions of customizing it for sale. Long story short, after testing it before I applied my DuraCoat camo pattern, I added it to the personal collection, it is no longer for sale.

In my opinion, both professionally and personally, it is the absolute best and most accurate semi-auto rimfire on the market.
Website for KGB Armory- http://www.kgbarmory.com
Custom builds, DuraCoat Refinishing & Gunsmithing
Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:33 pm
well finally went to the range today. I had already changed the stock to Boyds and have the extractor and hammer with me but i wanted to fire it to see how it worked.
I had gone to pick up the one with scope but store has misprint so ended up with Busnell scope. They had adjusted it but when i shot it was shooting like 2 inch below roughly at 50 yards

turned 20 or so click and 8 on windage dead on. 5 shots spot on each other ring of 1cm so so.

now if i can figure how to upload pictures. My friend who is my mentor is big fan of Ruger 10 22 he zeroed it and he was shooting those 1cm spots. Mine where spots roughly 3/4 inch and ocassional here and there lol

i think my research on You tube review and purchase has not only made me very happy but its worth every tiny penny. Ruger is great gun but thsi is a fantastic gun we shot around 400 rounds and zero jamm we did have few failure to load but i think its due to brand new mags.

20g
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:14 pm
Thanks for review. Does sound like a decent semi-auto and the price is very reasonable. Been years since I have had a semi 22 and 597 sounds like a fun investment. Just wish they would not have dropped the magnum version but I have a R/A bolt which performs very well.
Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:34 pm
if you add the Volquartsen extractor your flying that is the only draw back apparently this weapon has reviews online people were complaining it failing to extract not sure how many hundred of rounds before that hits. But the Volquartsen extractor has a tad bit sharper and longer arm than stock. i was trying to load 10 rounds but it was real hard to get them then i went 5 rounds each it actually was fun and made me really watch what i was shooting.

Overall i spent 214 for gun 140 for scope and mounts in CDN and USD150 for Boyds stock, extractor and hammer. picked up a block of 5K rounds. i normally took my 9 mm to range and sks along but today i only shot this my conversionkit on P226 is great fun but i enjoyed this the most. Just waiting for tandemkross spring kit to be in stock. That be it for this awesome rifle.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:39 pm
Volquartsen makes quality products...

https://www.volquartsen.com/
Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:11 am
i havent changed mine out yet shot 350-400 rounds no issues yet have the parts just waiting to see if i can find a coupon for 20% with mcarbo spring kit and then when i change all will change a same time so far its shooting sick.
Hammer and Extractor from volquartsen and spring from MCARBO.

Tandemkross seems to show out of stock but MCARBO has them

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:54 pm
Got a new Volquartsen extractor and in addition ran across some new, original plastic magazines. Everything works great now. My Remmie used for $200 is awesome. It is a 597M, the .22 Magnum.

Recently went out with my 597m and I did have a few probs, but it appears, not with the rifle, but with the ammo. Apparently they are a little old and a round or three...the powder does not burn completely, resulting in some FTE conditions with the spent shell hanging up. Still a great rifle!

Return to Remington Autoloading Model 597