• Advertisement

remington 1911 r1

Post any "How To" topic in this forum or, if you have a question about a modification you would like to make to your gun.

Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:43 pm
first off hello everyone. i just bought a new 1911 r1s want to know if anyone has changed there safety to a ambidextrous and if so how hard is it also changing the beaver tail and hammer and if so what is the way to go. i have checked online wilson has a nice selection give me your input thank you
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:26 pm
You might need the assistance of a pistol smith. A beavertail replacement can require a lot of fitting. You'll also need to fit the safety and function check.. That can be tricky business, but people do change them out themselves.. Ron
"Ain't no pockets on a shroud"
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:20 pm
Welcome to the Remington Owners Forum manciniclr !!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:21 pm
Not sure about the ambi safety but I installed a beavertail grip safety and a Commander style hammer and they are not drop in (at least mine weren't) and it took me a while to do it. I have installed five or six and take it slow and easy and they usually turn out fairly decent.

Steve...........

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:03 am
manciniclr wrote:first off hello everyone. i just bought a new 1911 r1s want to know if anyone has changed there safety to a ambidextrous and if so how hard is it also changing the beaver tail and hammer and if so what is the way to go. i have checked online wilson has a nice selection give me your input thank you

Fitted a Wilson Combat Ambi thumb safety to my R1 Enhanced, I consider myself a handy and detail oriented guy, I watched a couple of YouTube videos and went to work on it. Took my time and followed the instructions. Being left-handed it was something that I prefer to have on all my semi-autos. It was a little stiff at first, but has smoothed out over a few thousand rounds.

Return to How To's and Modifications